Filing a Discrimination Claim Under Federal Law

An employee who believes that he/she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex and/or national origin must file a charge with the EEOC to begin the claim process under Title VII. The EEOC investigates the charge and attempts to convince the parties to reach a mutually satisfactory settlement. If a settlement is not forthcoming, the EEOC may file a suit in federal district court on the employee’s behalf. More often, however, the EEOC issues the employee a right to sue letter, that advises the employee that he/she can file a suit in federal district court.

  • ​​


    This premium content is for our members. For immediate access, join online or by phone at (800) 649-4921. Or Start a Free Trial Now for 7 days.

    Already a Member? Sign In Below.

Sign In
Remember Email